The Sunday School Mission
The purpose of St. John Sunday School program is to facilitate an opportunity for children to learn the fundamentals of Orthodox Christianity as taught by the Fathers of the Orthodox Church. Additionally, St. John Sunday School provides an opportunity for children to learn their Armenian culture through song, art, and creative projects.
Our Sunday School curriculum is well-rounded and diverse, featuring religious education, music, and special projects. Each month, students receive a spiritual message in the sanctuary, enhancing their connection to faith. Our engaging program introduces them to a range of spiritually and culturally significant topics, ensuring a relevant learning experience.
The current curriculum is provided by the Christian Education Council under the direction of the Western Diocese and our teachers incorporate additional material.
Monthly Schedule (Updated for 2023/2024)
Sunday School begins promptly at 10:30 AM and concludes between 12:15 AM and 12:30 PM. Please ensure your child is checked in and out by a parent or guardian.
- 1st Sunday: Special Classes Presented by St. John Deacons, followed by participation in the Divine Liturgy.
- 2nd Sunday: Religion class by grades.
- 3rd Sunday: Religion class by grades.
- 4th Sunday: Music Sunday with Nadima Avakian
- 5th Sunday: Special Projects day.
After Sunday School Program Schedule (Classes are from approximately 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
1st and 3rd Sundays: Dance with Carol Kazarian
2nd and 4th Sundays: Armenian Language (Eastern) with Sona Kesecker
2nd Sunday: ACYO Juniors with Charles Cherezian
How you can help
There are many ways that you can get involved and help support St. John’s Sunday School program. As in all aspects of our Children’s lives, the more we get involved, the more we can instill in our children a sense of responsibility and convey the value of our faith.
- Volunteer to help as an aid in the classroom.
- Help coordinate a community service event or activity for our Sunday School kids.
- Volunteer to teach a Sunday School session. Lessons are clearly explained and teaching materials are provided.