On the 4th Saturday of every month, we join up with a group of volunteers who feed the poor at the Martin de Porres House of Hospitality. This monthly effort is organized by sDn. Arto Bedikian and is made possible in part by our support. It is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, but more importantly serve those who are less fortunate. Click here to sign up online!
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me…" – Matthew 25:35
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I sign up?
- Just sign up online by clicking here and filling out the form on the right side of the page. One of the soup kitchen crew leaders will contact you shortly to answer any questions might have, and then you'll receive regular updates about upcoming soup kitchen volunteer opportunities.
- How long will I have to volunteer for?
- You can volunteer for as long or as little as works for your schedule. However, we ask that you do your best to commit to serving for three hours at the soup kitchen. There are two shifts, the first from 9 AM to 12 PM, and the second from 12 PM to 3 PM. If you come to the first shift then you'll be helping with the preparation of the food and serving. If you come to the second shift then you will help with serving the food and cleaning up.
- What will I have to do?
- As a soup kitchen crew member you'll be asked to perform some easily learned tasks in the kitchen such as chopping vegetables, cutting bread, preparing salad, or washing dishes. You'll also help serving the food. You don't have to have any previous experience with any of these tasks. There will be somebody to help you if you have any questions.
- Is it safe?
- A few people may be concerned that soup kitchen is an unsafe environment. While safety is a concern for us in program that we participate in, the St. Martin de Porres House of Hospitality is a very clean and safe place to serve. Most of the guests are very respectful and thankful for your service.
- Can I get volunteer hour credit for school or work?
- Yes. We will sign any form that you might have that would indicate that you've served volunteer hours.